Old 22nd December 2010, 07:27 PM   Expand/Collapse
Geocaching Apps for Android OS

Team Hippo
GAGB Member

First Post In This Thread
Show Printable Version Email this Page
Team Hippo Team Hippo is offline 22nd December 2010, 07:27 PM
Rating: (0 votes - average)

I know the subject has come up before, but in a fast-moving market I'd appreciate cacher's current views.

I've just upgraded to an android smartphone, and would like the ability to download and manipulate pocket queries (as in GSAK), and have access to geocaching.com out in the field, and preferably also run MemoryMap which I currently do on a PDA.

The smartphone will be in addition to, and not replace, my existing Garmin 60CSx, so the navigation side isn't so important to me.

I've tried to make sense of the matter on the Groundspeak forum, not helped by references to some app that nobody seems willing to mention by name but which is 'banned' by Groundspeak - not much help if you don't know what app they're talking about!

Any advice on do's or don'ts will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Alan
Views: 5210
Old 7th March 2012, 10:28 AM
GAGB Member

I also log finds offline - ir I log them in Neongeo and then put better words together fo a fuller log when at home (using GSAK publish logs functionanilty).

C:geo is OK but people should understand that it breaks the Groundspeak Terms of Use policy and that is why it will pretty much break everytime there is a website update.
Old 8th March 2012, 03:18 AM
GAGB Member

I have taken the sage advice of Dr Dick and downloaded all the caching apps I can find(the only paid one being the GS app) Some work better than others in different locations, so I have a choice if the GS doesn't work may be the Beagle will etc., Download them all and try Most are free!!
Old 11th March 2012, 10:58 PM
GAGB Member

I'm using CacheSense and it has more functionality than you can wave a stick thingy at. I used to go for c:geo and the GeoCaching.com app, but after beta testing CacheSense for a month I bought it and have stuck to that since.

I use Locus Pro for OS and OpenStreet Hiking maps and Glympse to let the family know where I am from time to time when away on a longer walk.

Oh, and I then turn them all off between caches or the battery will be flat half way round.
Old 12th March 2012, 08:01 AM
GAGB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esim View Post
Oh, and I then turn them all off between caches or the battery will be flat half way round.
Look on ebay for spare batteries - should be able to get 2 + a wall charger for under 15, sent from China. That solves any power woes
Old 7th April 2013, 02:01 PM
GAGB Member

I am a very new cacher and am using c:geo on my android with no problems at all. I only use c:geo to back up my GPSr and it saves writing everything down before a trip out.
I have recently got rid of a Windows phone (honestly, don't buy one they are rubbish) and used both gc.com's app and c:geo on the windows phone. I found that c:geo to be much better. Also does anyone know why GC.com's app is free on Windows but nearly 7 on android?
Old 7th April 2013, 03:18 PM
GAGB Member

I believe that the windows app is not as comprehensive as the official geocaching app on Android and iPhone. I find that there is little difference between c:geo and the official app, certainly not worth paying out twice.